Young Expert at Unie van Waterschappen - Ethiopia
YEP period 2014 - 2016, batch 4
The Dutch Water Authorities seconded me to the Federal Government of Ethiopia to work on the implementation of Integrated Water Resource Management at basin level. As a junior policy advisor, I was mostly involved with the Awash Basin Authority, and at times with the Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Electricity. In my role I worked on, among other issues, strategic river basin planning, monitoring water quality, regulating industrial effluent discharges. Through my work I have been involved with policy-makers, officials and workers at all levels, from the Minister to gate operators. Another aspect was coordinating between the Dutch and Ethiopian parties. Especially in organising periodical work visits from the Dutch Water Authorities to the Awash Basin and giving context and support to Dutch water experts to facillitate knowledge transfer.
- Multidisciplinary projects
- Environmental policy
- Transboundary water governance
- Technical and governance aspects of water management
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Good reporting and presentation
Education: B.Eng in Industrial Engineering & Management (Hanze Hogeschool), MSc in Environmental Science (Utrecht University)
Experience before YEP
- Research fellow at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem: I was a research fellow for the spring semester (5 months), developing a theoretical model to probe politicisation of water in bi- and multi-lateral water regimes (MSc thesis).
- Internship at Tebodin Consulting and Engineering, Muscat Office (Oman): I investigated the consequences of a change from lump sum to norm-based project costs estimation for oil and gas engineering services (B.Eng thesis).
- Other experiences such as: being part of a student think-tank on energy matters; an internship at a telecommunications enterprise on the Caribbean, student-assistent to faculty staff (e.g. organizing a student trip to India).