Young Expert at Alterra - Burundi
YEP period 2014 - 2016, batch 3
Researcher Climate Smart Agriculture: Alterra works in Uganda and Burundi to contribute to food- and financial security by innovative agricultural practices adjusted to climate changes, improved access to healthcare and reducing financial risks. My goal was to develop climate smart land- and water management options for small-holder farmers and increase interaction between (inter)national projects. In a changing climate, there must be provided new options in the area of crop selection, techniques and context. To anticipate to climate change, water management should become an integral part of the future plans of the individual farmer and agricultural development at higher levels.
My role at Alterra was diverse:
- Coordinator of East African Projects where Alterra is involved in (Ethiopia, Kenia, Burundi, Uganda) and increase of interaction between different projects and stakeholders (amongst others in the field of climate smart water management).
- Research on climate smart agriculture. I was working on the identification of ‘water wise’ technologies for the most important crops and formulate water management for farmers.
- Est African trainer for the M&E instrument MonQI and training of farmers in climate smart water management
- Initiation of new projects as part of the program
I am enthusiastic and curious, an analytical thinker, independent, dedicated and result-oriented, well developed interpersonal skills.
Education: MSc in International Development studies with interest in international cooperation, combining global issues with sustainable development, with a special focus on issues related to food security; water, soil fertility and nutrition. It is my aim to use my knowledge to assist people and enable them to grow personally and reach their goals.
Experience before YEP
- Professional experience in research, project management and teaching. After my studies I have gained work experience at several NGOs, of which most recently at Cordaid at the Food Security department, I participated in a research traineeship around Food Sustainability and was a Culture & Language trainer for 1.5 years to gain experience as trainer for a diverse public with a multicultural background.
- Research and study experience in Indonesia, Peru, Guatemala, Spain, Singapore, Sweden, the Netherlands. I have gained research experience in global food sustainability, food security in fragile states, intercultural bilingual/ multilingual education, sustainable development, supply chains, sustainable tourism development.