History: Young Expert at Arcadis Nederland B.V. - Myanmar
YEP period 2015 - 2017, batch 3
Position after YEP
Project Manager at Arcadis, Myanmar
During my first year as Young Water Expert of the Young Expert Programme Water (YEP Water) I was working as liaison officer Water at the Netherlands Embassy in Yangon, Myanmar. My main assignment was to act as a liaison officer for the entire Dutch water sector and to promote ‘The Dutch Approach’ to integrated water management.
In my second year I work as Project Coordinator on Water and Environment for Arcadis in Myanmar, focusing on delta and river basin management.
Myanmar is a fast developing country, also in the field of Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM). Myanmar and the Netherlands, both countries with huge and low lying deltas formed by large river systems, share many common challenges in the area of water management. In May 2013 a Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation in the field of Integrated Water Resources Management was signed between the governments of The Netherlands and Myanmar. When looking at present day Myanmar, it can be observed that the country is still to a large extent unspoiled. With its abundance in natural resources, including water, the country has great opportunities to achieve a balanced and sustainable development. I would like to contribute to that.
I’m a project manager, who is specialized in environmental quality, integrated coastal management, water resource management, climate adaptation, environmental policy and system analysis. Working in international projects and teams is challenging and fun. I like to work and build an international water network with my Dutch and local YEP colleagues, NGO’s, governments and other relevant water partners: “Alone you go faster, but together you go further!”
Thanks to my environmental background and strong analytical skills I enjoy looking for solutions in the field of water management worldwide. “Stop wishing and start doing!”
Education: BSc & MSc in Environmental Sciences at Wageningen University, with a specialization in Governance of Marine & Coastal Systems (2011).
Experience before YEP
Project manager ARCADIS Nederland BV, Rivers, Coast & Sea group
- Project management for the development of the book Connecting Delta Cities, Volume 3. Activities are contacting delta cities like Rotterdam, London, Copenhagen, Melbourne, New Orleans, New York, Tokyo, Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, Hong Kong and the provision of appropriate content for the book (2013);
- Project management support to process and modelling studies for infrastructural works at the waterways of Abu Dhabi (2012 – 2013);
- Coordination of the POWER programme: business development and feasibility studies for Dynamic Tidal Power in China (2012 - 2014);
- Assistance to project management (content and process) of the project ‘Green Deal Biodiversity Oosterschelde’ in order to improve fish migration, estuarine shellfish production and nature development. (2012 –2013);
- OURCOAST on integrated coastal zone management (ICZM) in Europe: formulation of integrated coastal management guidance based on lessons learned from case studies (2011 – 2012).
Volunteer at the Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve, Maine, USA
The reserve manages wetlands, dunes and grasslands and operates coastal research and monitoring programs, environmental learning and decision-maker training, and land and water resource management.
International Marine Workshop Norway, Environmental System Analysis Group, Wageningen University and Research centre and Kysten Er Klar, Norwegian consultancy firm
Scenarios building for sustainable development of the mid-Norway coastal region, based on the potentials and obstacles of the different coastal activities and by using an interdisciplinary approach including policy analysis and reviews, stakeholder consultation, surveys, identification and assessments of land use practices and coastal developments.