Young Expert at Meta Meta - Pakistan
YEP period 2013 - 2015, batch 1
Joined Spate Irrigation network in 2010 and since then I worked to support and strengthen the network activities in Pakistan. Carried out research on chain analysis of traditional organic crops (value and supply chains) (Wheat, Chick pea, Sorghum, and medicinal plants) in the spate irrigated areas. Also carried out research on chain models of niche crops like truffles and replication of international models with special emphasis on spate irrigated areas of Pakistan. Also carried out assignment on potential of salt-tolerant sugar beet varieties for introduction in the saline area of Pakistan. Sugar is one of the important commodities of Pakistan but there is shortage of water. Sugar beet consumes almost 40% of water required by sugarcane. Salinity was another problem; therefore salt-tolerant sugar beet varieties developed successfully in Netherlands can be tried in Pakistan.
- Having a degree in social sciences and working in a multi-disciplinary environment created to ability to make Independent planning and decision making along with ability to take initiatives.
- I have Strong Interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team.
- I possess creativity and leadership skills. Moreover I have ability to communicate with people from diverse cultures.
Education: Masters in Economics 2007, from Fatima Jinnah Women University Rawalpindi Pakistan
Experience before YEP
I have experience in different areas related to economics, and natural resource management and ultimate target is to extend my experience as a resource economist. Highlights of my experience are as follows:
- Worked in Pakistan Agriculture Research Council (PARC) in Nov 2008 and worked in as Incharge of Integrated Natural Resource Management Cell during December 2008 to May 2011. During this period I prepared several Concept Papers related to Integrated Natural Resource Management. Along with my team I prepared eight research briefings issued by the Natural Resources Division. I contributed in the extensive field surveys, analysis of the data and preparation of the reports.
- Worked as Research Assistant in the Development Policy Research Center at Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) on the project titled Supporting Policy Research to Inform Agricultural Policy in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. Specific theme is “Irrigation and Water use Efficiency. Project was funded by Global Development Network (Oct 2011- July 2012)
- Worked as workshop coordinator and conducted stakeholders’ workshops of Friends of Democratic Pakistan Water sector Task Force (November- December 2011)
- Served in Fatima Jinnah Women University Rawalpindi in the capacity of teaching assistant and assisted in designing and delivering different courses (Transition Economies, Poverty Reduction Strategies, and Applied Research Techniques for Economists, Micro Economics, and Economics in everyday life.) with different Professors ( October 2007 - June 2008)
- Carried out various internships with different organizations including Human Capital Management Institute, Zindagi Trust, and Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan.