Jaime Couto Júnior
YEP period 2021 - 2023, batch 26Young Expert at DIBcoop - Mozambique
As a Young Expert, I coordinate income generation micro-projects (beekeeping and agriculture) in local communities. Further, in the capacity of a Forestry Manager, I plan, organise, execute, supervise and prepare reports on the activities of forestry exploitation, silviculture, and forest protection in LevasFlor.
- Planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Team training abilities
- Proactive and creative
- Work under pressure
- Preparation of maps using the QGIS platform
- Microsoft office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Internet.
- Quick software familiarisation skills
- Nationality: Mozambican
- BSc. degree in Environment Management at Universidade Aberta ISCED, Mozambique
- Graduated as a Forestry Technician at the Agrarian Institute of Chimoio, Mozambique
Experience before YEP
- July 2014 to June 2017 – Worked as a forestry technician and cooperator of activities in the Forestry Management unit at LevasFlor Forest Concession (Certified by FSC).
- June 2017 – promoted to the category of Forestry Manager in LevasFlor's Forestry Concession, performing the following activities:
- Integrated Forest Inventory – planning, data processing, and reporting;
- Forestry Exploitation – planning, preparation of reports, personnel management, training in good practices in chainsaw operation, equipment management (tractors, trucks, chainsaws), maintenance management for field personnel.
- Silviculture – production of native species seedlings and planting in the definitive field, management of regeneration of stumps from forestry exploitation.
- Beekeeping – identification of individuals interested in honey production, distribution of hives, and training of members of local communities, management of apiaries within the organisation.
- Monitoring and evaluation – bio-aquatic, growth rates, regeneration and forest conditions; environmental and social impacts resulting from slaughter; costs, productivity, and efficiency of forest management, outflow control of NTFPs from the concession; measurement of growth within Permanent Sample Plots; and, precipitation.
- GIS – Preparation of thematic maps of different activities and events within the forest concession using the QGIS platform.
- Conflict management with local communities.
- Research – coordinate research in the forest sector with different educational institutions such as UEM, UNIZAMBEZE, ISPG, ISPM, IAC, PNG.
- July 2020 to present – promoted to Manager of the Department of Conservation at LevasFlor with the following main activities:
- Data collection and verification of changes in the concession's flora and fauna composition, especially in the High Conservation Value Forests (HCVF).
- Ensure the inspection of the concession's Forest and Wildlife resources and the proper referral of possible offenders to the competent authorities.
- Fire management through cold fire practices, awareness, and the fight against uncontrolled fires.