Young Expert at Woord en Daad - Benin
YEP period 2021 - 2023, batch 24
Drops 4 Crops (D4C) aims to promote integrated water resource management measures and efficient water use in North West Benin. By improving the efficiency of water use for vegetable production through irrigation equipment, it will enable small vegetable farmers to generate a sustainable income, creating resilient food systems in Benin.
In my role as a water expert, I will
- Map existing water resources;
- Verify the suitability of identified production sites;
- Estimate per production site the type and quantity of water-efficient irrigation equipment needed;
- Scan the IWRM situation per (micro-)basin;
- Monitor effects of implemented IWRM strategies based on Water User Management Plans (WUMP);
- Network with other actors active in the water and agro-food sector in Benin.
- Hydrological analyses and calculations
- Project planning and management
- Data analysis, visualization, and automation
- Intercultural communication
- Geo-Information Science (GIS)
- Nationality: Dutch
- MSc Earth and Environment, specialization in Hydrology and Water Resources (Wageningen University)
- BSc in Soil, Water and Atmosphere (Wageningen University)
Experience before YEP
- Consultant at Iv-Infra, a Dutch engineering company, on a wide range of projects in the fields of water and climate:
- Groundwater flow and withdrawal;
- Flood prediction and prevention;
- Stream restoration;
- Urban water systems.
- MSc Internship at Arcadis: Assessed flood risks and solutions for the water system of Guwahati, Northeast India.
- MSC Thesis: Examined storage and discharge patterns during wet-to-dry transitions in an artificial catchment in Chuzhou, China.
- BSc Thesis: Modelled water-vegetation-atmosphere interactions of the Caatinga vegetation in Brazil.