Young Expert at aQysta - Malawi
YEP period 2020 - 2022, batch 21
As a Young Expert, I work with aQysta Irrigation Limited as the Program Developer. aQysta is the first irrigation company to provide the first hydro-powered (Barsha pump) pump across the country. aQysta is currently implementing “The Access to Energy” project which has the following key points: Conducting Installations of Barsha Pump, furthering market linkage from farmer to buyer, developing payment methods for small holder farmers, and implementing trainings in irrigation and farming (manuals, meetings, online). As the program developer, I am responsible for:
- Assisting with site feasibility studies for Barsha pump suitable sites
- Conducting marketing and promotion to local small holder farmers
- Promoting awareness campaigns for the Barsha pump through various platforms
- Collecting feedback from small holder farmers who are using the Barsha Pump to improve the product if needed
- Evaluate the impact of installed Barsha Pumps on the income of farmers in Malawi
- Assisting in the set up for a payment method implemented to local small holder farmers
- Setting up guidelines and manuals in best farming methods to create more sustainable impact and efficiency for small holder farmers using Barsha pump
- Other tasks include; conducting community sensitization and mobilization meetings, registering and recruiting farmers for the aQysta GROWN farmers training, reporting to other aQysta staff on the progress of the farm incubator.
I am a good team player with good communication skills. Other skills are entrepreneurship and market development. Experience in working with rural communities from the grassroot level, planning activities and development. Ability to prioritize work and work under pressure. Always punctual and complete tasks before pleasure.Background
Education: I have a bachelor of science degree in Agribusiness management (2015-2019) and I graduated in December, 2019
Experience before YEP
Before the program developer position, I have been the marketing officer for aQysta. I joined aQysta in January 2019 and have been working there till present. I have also worked as an intern with Blantyre District Agriculture Office (Aug-Nov 2018) under the extension department and Centre for Agriculture Research Development as a Data entry clerk (Aug-Nov 2017).