History: Young Expert at Akvo.org - Kenya
YEP period 2015 - 2017, batch 6
Position after YEP
Design lead at Medicine Sans Frontiers (MSF) KenyaYEP Role
Akvo builds open source internet and mobile software which is used to make international development cooperation and aid activity more effective and transparent. As a Young Expert I helped facilitating local workshops, training sessions and meetings with Akvo’s diverse partners. Akvo’s East Africa Hub in Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Zambia and Mozambique focuses on helping governments and local partners to undertake national and regional WASH mapping programmes. With a background in human centered design I was also involved in the collection of user insights that was used for product optimization.
Click here for more information about my project.
- Human Centered Design
- Design for the Base of the Pyramid
- Analytical – Creative - Social
- Creative facilitation & presentation
- Team work
- Helicopter view
- MSc. Design for Interaction @ Delft University of Technology
- Bachelor Industrial Design Engineering @ Delft University of Technology
- Minor Industrial Design Engineering and Art Academy courses @ Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Spain
- Summer project: Social Innovation project Help Manuel @ Universidad EAFIT, Colombia
Experience before YEP
- Customer Experience Consultant @ User Intelligence (09/2014 – 10/2015)
Responsibilities: Customer Experience consulting & interaction design, project management, research & analytics, sketching & concepting, sitemaps & user flows, information architecture, wireframing & prototyping.
- Consultant User Centered Design, Domestic Sanitation @ SNV Mozambique (06/2014– 07/2014)
Responsibilities: Train, coach and guide a local team in human centered design. Framing and documenting key insights on sanitation insights.
- User Centered Designer, Reinvent The Toilet Challenge @ TU Delft for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (02/2013 – 07/2014)
Responsibilties: Desk & field research for the development an of an off-grid sanitation systems for slums in India. Design, prototype and user testing to ensure a good user-technology interaction.
- MSc. Thesis Intern, Biogas Socket project @ TNO and SNV Rwanda (03/2012 – 09/2012)
TNO developed a technique that transfers the heat of a biogas flame into electricity. Responsibility: develop the technique from the lab into a first concept for a user-friendly product that farmers in emerging economies can use to charge their mobile phone and to light a lamp.
- Intern, Locally Inspired Innovation Design project at ONergy (09/2011 – 01/2012)- ONergy sells renewable lighting solutions to the Indian BoP customer in off-grid West Bengal
Responsibilities: company analysis in parallel with product, market and user research, resulting in an advice related to the introduction of new products.
- Chairwoman and co-founder of Board Stukafest Delft (10/2009 - 07/2010)
Responsibilities: managing the board, engaging with partners, acquisition, programming and logistics.
- Volunteer Work via Youth For Understanding @ Ñeque y mas ñeque, Ecuador (08/2005 – 02/2006)
Teaching to kids aged 5 -12.