Antonio Francisco Junior
Young Expert at We Consult - Mozambique
YEP period 2019 - 2021, batch 18
WE Consult is Mozambique part of the WE Group. WEG is a group of companies consisting of water resources, environmental and socio-economic specialists and engineers, providing professional advice and management for development projects in East and Southern Africa. From preliminary analysis to design, costing and construction supervision, WE Consult helps people reach their project goals.
WE Consult has been contracted for the provision of consulting services to ARA-Zambeze for a Detailed hydrogeological study for Monitoring the Aquifer System in the Licuari Valley – District of Nicoadala, Province of Zambezia, Mozambique. This project comprised a desk study, fieldwork, data analysis and interpretation and started in June 2019. The main objectives of this project comprise as follows:
- A detailed description of the Licuari Valley Aquifer System, including a conceptual model, identification of major threats to the aquifer system and a description of the existing wells / water points;
- A detailed description of the capacity of the aquifer system and proposal for section/locations for construction of production boreholes for the Quelimane city water supply (FIPAG) (time dependent data). including results of well inventories and hydrogeological parameters, advise on a database for groundwater data, a water balance and estimation of groundwater recharge and capacity of the aquifer system;
- A monitoring plan for the Licuari Valley Aquifer System, including a final proposal for the water points to be included in the Monitoring Network, a detailed description of the monitoring network, including locations, parameters and frequency, and recommendations on a future groundwater model for the Licuari Valley;
- A detailed description of measures to protect the Licuari Valley aquifer system, with special emphasis on the Protection Zone, including advice on a Registration and Licensing System for groundwater users in the Licuari Valley, description of legal aspects related to the establishment of a protection zone and licensing system, and a description of other proposal and measures to protect the Licuari Valley aquifer system.
My main role as a Hydrogeologist at WE Consult comprise as follows: execution of geophysical surveys (ERT, VES and Profiling) and interpretation of data, supervision of drilling works, fieldwork, including logistics, execution of pumping tests and interpretation of data, execution of hydrogeological surveys, taking water samples and interpretation of analyses, data processing and quality control, detailed reporting as well as translation of reports and proposals from English to Portuguese and vice versa.
- Hydrogeology and Geology
- Geophysical field surveys
- Hardworking, conscientious and dedicated
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong sense of duty and take responsibilities seriously
- Ability to work as a team member
- Good team coordination skills
Education: Bachelor degree in Geology at Eduardo Mondlane University, in Maputo, Mozambique
Experience before YEP
Before YEP, I have worked for WE Consult for two years as a Junior Hydrogeologist. During these two years, I was involved in several projects in water resources assessment, supervision of boreholes drilling, test pumping, water samples collection for lab analysis, as well as field analysis. I was in charge of geophysical field surveys, data analysis, processing and reporting.