YEP period 2019 - 2021, batch 18
I work as a Technical Programme Officer for CCAP SMART Centre. The SMART Centre works on increasing access to improved water and sanitation in rural and peri urban communities in Malawi. This is done through training the local private sector (local entrepreneurs and contractors) in low-cost WASH technologies known as SMARTechs. The SMARTechs includes: manual borehole drilling, hand pumps, rain water harvesting and household water treatment.
During my YEP period I will work on:
- building up expertise in low-cost technologies suitable for rural and peri-urban circumstances in Malawi;
- monitoring and improving the quality control of products produced by trained local technicians and retailers of technologies;
- preparing activity plans, budgets and project proposals;
- assisting with monitoring project progress and reporting;
- promoting and representing the SMART Centre approach and its technologies portfolio on national water and sanitation meetings, seminars, etc;
- developing and executing business/technical trainings for local small businesses producing technologies.
- Water resources management
- Training and facilitation
Education: BSc Water Resources Management and Development (Mzuzu University), Certificate in Financial Accounting
Experience before YEP
I have gained vast experience in the field of WASH during my 3 years working at CCAP SMART Centre. First, I started as a Research Intern and then worked as a Monitoring officer. Skills I developed include: Monitoring and evaluation of various water and sanitation projects; technical expertise on water pumps for irrigation and water supply; and also training and providing technical skills in WASH to local private sector.
Some of the notable assignments I worked on were: Monitoring Rainwater harvesting project for domestic use in Central Region Malawi. Mapping Nkhamanga Water system in Northern Region Malawi using Eos Tools Pro and mWater. Developing and conducting research – Adoption and functionality of Rope pumps in Malawi; experiences on household water treatment techniques.