Young Expert at Meta Meta - Malawi
YEP period 2019 - 2021, batch 16
My role at SMART Centre is expanding the use of low-cost WASH technologies (SMARTechs) in Malawi by training local entrepreneurs, in both production and business skills. The SMARTechs include manual well drilling, a range of hand pumps, drip irrigation systems, rain water harvesting, groundwater recharge and household water treatment:
- I will build up expertise in low cost SMARTechs suitable for rural and peri-urban circumstances in Malawi, which can be produced with local skills and materials.
- Monitor and improve the quality control of products produced by trained local technicians and retailers of SMARTechs.
- Prepare activity plans, budgets and project proposals, as well as keeping track of financial flows.
- Assist with monitoring project progress and reporting.
- Promote and represent the SMART Centre approach and its SMARTechs portfolio on national water and sanitation meetings, seminars, agricultural fairs, etc.
- Process coordination
- Communication and training
- Data analysis
Education: BSc Human Geography, MSc International Development Studies
Experience before YEP
I have a background in Human Geography and International Development Studies. For my master thesis I conducted research in Uganda on the impact of small hydropower projects on communities living in the project area and downstream. The research was focused on both the impact on water and land as well as the resettlement procedure. This research was conducted in relation with the ORIO program from RVO.
Professionally I have worked on several projects at PostNL in the Netherlands, focused on sustainable solutions and efficiency improvement.