Young Expert at AgriProFocus - Burundi
YEP period 2019 - 2020, batch 16
As Young Expert/Talent Pool Trainee I am part of the Food and Nutrition Security (FNS) Cluster at the Dutch Embassy in Bujumbura, Burundi. The FNS programme of the Embassy consists of several development projects in which the so-called PIP approach takes a central place. PIP (Plan Intégré du Paysan) focuses on farmer households and all its members and aims to create a change in mentality and intrinsic motivation among farmer families to plan for their own future. The PIP approach entails alignment and coordination between partners intervening in land management, input supply, nutrition, post-harvest management, marketing and value chain development and agribusiness. As Young Expert I support the Embassy on three main topics:
- Engage and Advise; engage with and advise selected development partners on PIP approach, with a focus on integrating nutrition.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning; identify and develop a M&E system and learning mechanisms on the Embassy’s FNS programme in collaboration with partners.
- Communication; engage in formulation of communication strategy for the Embassy in general and the FNS programme specifically.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Project management
- Intercultural communication skills
- Team player, flexible and pro-active
Education: BSc Nutrition and Health, Wageningen University, Minor on Exercise and Sport Science, University of Bologna, MSc Nutrition and Health, Wageningen University, Master Thesis on underlying causes of child malnutrition in Rwanda.
Experience before YEP
Before becoming a Young Expert, I worked as Research Scientist at the Dutch Beer Institute where I was responsible for both research and communication about moderate alcohol consumption and health.
Before that, I worked as consultant at the Sight and Life Foundation where I also performed my internship. As a consultant I worked on several projects including a project on food fortification in Zambia and a project on tackling micronutrient deficiencies and malnutrition by developing food egg value chains for small scale farmers in Africa.