YEP period 2018 - 2020, batch WWX1Young Expert at WaterWorX - Malawi
First position after YEP
Assistant Project Engineer at Southern Region Water Board, Malawi
Position: Local Project Coordinator
Project: Southern Region Water Board – Vitens Evides International WaterWorX Project
- Know all members of a team, including their strengths, weakness, and areas of expertise
- Assign various tasks to team members that relate to the completion of a specific project
- Coach team members on how best to accomplish their goals
- Motivate others and build enthusiasm for a project by keeping focused on its main objectives and the rewards for completion
- Design overall schedule for a project and make proposals for necessary adjustments if and when problems arise
- Look for ways to cut back on project expenses and increase the potential for profits
- Participate in educational opportunities to stay up to date on leadership techniques
- Keep upper management in the loop by preparing project updates and presentations that showcase a project's value and status
- Stay familiar with companies’ policies and goals and works to make sure that all members of a project team adhere to set standards
- Create project schedules that include materials estimates and manpower needs to be submitted to management
- Work with field personnel to handle project issues as they arise
- Managing all contractual arrangements on projects to be implemented by Board including issues of tenders of tenders, valuation of bids, procurement
Education: BSc Civil Engineering 2015
Experience before YEP
Southern Region Water Board (SRWB) – 2016 to date
Position: Assistant Projects Engineer
- Preparing engineering analysis of new projects and maintenance/rehabilitation/modification of existing infrastructure including carrying out project feasibility studies, preliminary and detailed designs, life cycle costing, and equipment selection.
- Preparing technical construction specifications, Performing Engineering duties surrounding the following; buildings, drainage, roads, water supply infrastructure and environmental systems
- Preparing and interpreting blueprints, schematic drawings, layouts and other visual aids.
- Conducting engineering surveys to gather field data
- Performing civil engineering duties surrounding the following; mechanical devices, components, water pumping equipment, environmental control, materials handling and machine tools.
- Assisting to manage project issues, budgets, and schedules for internally and externally funded projects.
- Coordinating the activities of the design and construction teams.
- Assisting in managing and evaluation of all contractual arrangements on projects to be implemented by the Board including issues of tenders, valuation of bids, procurement etc.
- Liaising with consultants on all contracted out studies and projects
- Management of keeping of inventories for water supply networks.
- Supervising construction projects for compliance with design specification/ standards.
Central East African Railways - 2015 to 2016
Position: Civil Engineer
- Planning and executing maintenance of permanent way infrastructure (i.e., rails, sleepers, bridges, drainage structures and all track components,) and building infrastructure
- Ensuring compliance to and in accordance with pre-established safety standards and regulations when maintenance work is being carried out.
- Carrying out bridge and track inspection regime, conducting defects trend analysis, incident investigations, on-site audits to understand persistent issues affecting maintenance work .
- Managing, leading, guiding, training and supervising in-house Technical Officers, Technicians and external contractors in maintenance work relevant to permanent way.
- Developing and implementing failure management and emergency response procedures / processes when deemed necessary
- Handling contract management issues concerning all department contracts, both service and material supply contracts (ensuring that contract terms are adhered to, and managing the subsequent payment claims).
- Preparing progress reports both monthly and annual for the permanent way department.
- the implementation of preventative maintenance schema, design and development of the permanent way.