Katrien van Krieken
History: Young Expert at Resilience B.V. - Mozambique
YEP period 2018 - 2020, batch 15
Position after YEP
Water Management Expert at Resilience B.V., Mozambique
Resilience BV and its daughter company Resiliência Moçambique lda aim to improve Mozambique’s agricultural potential and strengthening food security in Mozambique. We aim to become the broker between the realities found in the field of smallholder irrigation and realistic sustainable working modalities for private and public efforts of investments in agricultural smallholder development. This is done by translating theory into practice around smallholder irrigation development through social-technical and hydrological research in Mozambique.
Katrien’s experiences in the field ‘with her feet in the mud’ among farmer led irrigation systems in the Ulugurus Mountains, Tanzania, and moving around on heels through the diplomatic world of Maputo during her time at the Embassy are perfectly combined in her role within Resilience BV. She will work with Agricultural Water Management with farmers in and around Chimoio, and will further strengthen the company and consolidating its position through networking and project support from Maputo.
- Interdisciplinary land and water management
- Project management
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Intercultural Communication & Diplomacy
- Committed, benevolent, creative and curious
- Networking and acquisition
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Languages: Dutch, English, Portuguese
Nationality: Katrien is Dutch, but was born in Sweden, lived in Pakistan and Laos during her childhood years and since 2015 has set foot in Eastern-Africa and thus far has not left.
- BSc. International Development Studies with a specialization in sociology, at Wageningen University
- MSc. International Land and Water Management with a specialization in Irrigation and Water Management, at Wageningen University
Experience before YEP
- Short term consultancy assignment for the World Bank in Maputo doing research towards the financial sustainability of the ARAs or (Autoridade Regionais de Aguas).. These are the water boards of Mozambique responsible for regional integrated water resource management. (January 2018 - August 2018)
- Consultancy and internship at the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Maputo, within the water cluster. Here she worked on the WASH, IWRM and Water Productivity projects (October 2016- December 2017).
- Conducting fieldwork in rural Tanzania for my Master thesis with the title: “Secrets to success of traditional and formalised farmer managed irrigation systems in the Uluguru Mountains, Tanzania” (February 2016- October 2016)
- Internship at the International Water Management Institute (IWMI), research in the Uluguru Mountains leading to a working paper with a focus on investments on land in the form of irrigation in matrilineal land tenure. (October 2015- January 2016)