History: Young Expert at ICCO Cooperation - Kenya
YEP period 2018 - 2020, batch 14
Position after YEP
Looking for a job, Mexico
After my first YEP-year at the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands as a food security expert, I’ve moved to ICCO Cooperation for my second YEP-year.
In my position as emergency food security advisor for ICCO, I’ll be providing support and advice to several programmes in both Kenya and South-Sudan on food security. I’ll also be involved in the development of new projects/programmes in these countries and create new opportunities and partnerships. With my experience in knowledge management, I will also advise on this in ICCO programmes.
One of my first assignments is to work for PerspActive, a consortium of 10 Dutch-based partners working on youth unemployment. I will develop a proposition on system-level to solve youth unemployment in Kenya.
Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
I worked as a food security Young Expert at the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Nairobi. I was also part of the Talent Pool, a group of young food security professionals working at three embassies and at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Dutch Ministry of Agriculture.
In the Embassy in Kenya, my work evolved around four food and nutrition security programmes. Three were related to value chains (dairy, horticulture, and aquaculture) and one was a research project that assessed the effectiveness of the programmes and validates underlying assumptions. Next to supporting my colleagues in the project management of these programmes, my role was also to look for opportunities within the programmes to give attention to nutrition security, climate change and youth in agriculture.
I was also involved in the development of the new country strategy in which new national level policy goals were translated into the country context. Next to this, I’ve organised an Alumni-event as well as a Food Security Partner Day and worked on a joint assignment with the Talent Pool. The joint assignment focused on knowledge management between the embassies, the two ministries, and other stakeholders.
- Project management
- Knowledge management
- Network building
- MA Advanced Master International Development (AMID) at the University of Nijmegen
- MSc Research Master International Development Studies at the University of Amsterdam
- BA International Relations at the University of Groningen
Experience before YEP
- Food & Business Knowledge Platform (F&BKP) – Knowledge Broker, working on the topics food wastage, land governance, nutrition security, gender, youth and landscape approaches.
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF) – Researcher Supply Risk Analysis, internship on analysing supply chain risks of companies partnering with the WWF Market Transformation Initiative.