Loes van der Pluijm
Young Expert at Meta Meta - Kenya
YEP period 2017 - 2019, batch 12
As a Young Expert, I work for MetaMeta and The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) supporting the Flood-Based Livelihoods Network (FBLN). My main focus is on the project Africa to Asia and Back Again: Testing Adaptation in Flood-based Livelihood Systems (FBLS). I am involved in all project components and my role is mainly to support project activities and contribute to project outputs. This includes staying in close contact with the FBLN country coordinators and interns (of 8 countries in Africa and Asia) to support them and ensure a smooth implementation of the project activities. On top of that, my task is to contribute to strengthening of the knowledge-base in FBLS by undertaking solution-oriented research and developing evidence based documentations (mainly practical notes, overview papers, guidelines and videos) and support capacity building activities (leadership course, internship programme and developing BSc and MSc curricula). Last but not least, I am working on FBLN communication by developing promotion material, managing the website and social media (Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp) and sharing outputs on those channels. I am very proud to be part of such an amazing network: it feels like one big family dedicated to improve the livelihoods of people in flood-based livelihood systems!
- Ability to link different sectors (water, land, economy) to promote sustainable development planning in an integrated way
- Ability to maintain and coordinate constructive contact with stakeholders in the field of natural resource management
- Ability to work independently
- Able to live and work in a remote and challenging context
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural context
- Networking skills and intercultural communication skills
- Creative and critical thinking
- Organised, hands-on and pro-active, motivational, open-minded, flexible and committed
Education: MSc International Land and Water Management at Wageningen University, The Netherlands with specialization in Irrigation and water management, BSc International Land and Water Management at Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Experience before YEP
- Conducted biophysical and socio-economic assessment in Kenya (through farmer surveys and field-research) on Water Productivity and Smart water solutions for SNV Kenya under the Smart Water for Agriculture project (SWA).
- Conducted biophysical and socio-economic assessment on the status and potential of FBLS in three Kenyan counties including impact assessment of Tana River dams (through farmer surveys, stakeholder meetings and field-research). This assessment was part of the project: Africa to Asia, testing adaptation in flood-based resource management in partnership with the Kenyan Ministry of Water and Irrigation (MoWI), ICRAF and MetaMeta.
- Assisting project-team of the Kenyan Ministry of Water and Irrigation (MowI) on assessment of environmentally, socially and technically feasible sites for construction of small-dams and water-pans as research internship.
- Conducted an assessment and research report on social and technical aspects of Small-Scale Irrigation schemes (through farmer surveys and field-research) in Ethiopia in collaboration with WUR, Unesco-IHE, Arba Minch University (AMU) and MetaMeta for MSc thesis.
- Consultant for Irrigation Community Riegos de Alcoi concerning socio-technical Hydraulic heritage conservation assessment (through farmer surveys, stakeholder meetings and field-research).
- Socio-economic assessment of contract-farming practices in Tomatlan, Mexico by contract-farming enterprise Mexproduce for research internship.