Jairo Alejandro Angel Escobar
Young Expert at Waterschap De Dommel - Colombia
YEP period 2017 - 2019, batch 11
As a YEP civil engineer, I am working at CVC (Corporación Autónoma Regional del Valle del Cauca), which is the environmental authority of the Valle del Cauca region in Colombia. The CVC, among many activities, oversees the protection of vulnerable ecosystems and wetlands in the Valley region, being home of many native and endangered species of flora and fauna, like birds and native trees.
I am working on hydraulic and environmental restoration of wetlands in the Cauca river valley, participating and organizing activities such as hydraulic connection designs, invasive species control and sustainable use, riverbank protection infrastructure and project management. Furthermore, I am working with my YEP colleague Steven Menkveld on the hydraulic and sediment transport modeling of Cauca river, revision and processing of hydrologic data and setting an updated sediment transport monitoring program for rivers in the region.
Professional: Very good skills at GIS (ArcGIS, QGIS), hydraulic modeling (HEC-RAS, SOBEK, Delft 3D) and project management. Strengths in hydraulic design and research. Special interest and experience on community work and social projects.
Personal: Proactive, dynamic and kind person, trying to work on different activities and getting until the last resource to achieve the goal. Disciplined on my work and conscious about people needs, always trying to be optimistic in every project.
- BSc Civil Engineering at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana Cali, Colombia
- Msc. Environmental Engineering at Politecnico di Torino, Italy
Experience before YEP
Assistant professor- water resources area, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana Cali:
- Instructor for courses of fluid mechanics, hydrology, open channel flow, water supply and sewage systems and introduction to civil engineering
- In charge of the renovation and instrumentation of the water resources laboratory
- Management and direction of bachelor’s degree projects that include engineering design
- Project manager of social initiatives of the university aiming to build sustainable houses and water infrastructure for communities in Colombia