YEP period 2016 - 2018, batch 10
As a Young Expert I work with the CCAP SMART Centre as Technical Project Officer. The SMART Centre is a Training Centre for Water and Sanitation based in Mzuzu, Malawi (www.smartcentremalawi.com).
Assessing and building capacity and expertise in low-cost SMARTechs suitable for rural and peri-urban circumstances in Malawi, produced with local skills and materials (SMART = Simple, Market-Based, Affordable, Repairable and Technology-Based). SMARTechs include manual drilling, a range of hand pumps including Rope Pumps, drip irrigation systems, rain water harvesting, ground water recharge, and household water treatment.
Other tasks include: developing and executing social marketing campaigns, business trainings, and technical trainings for local small business producing SMARTechs, as well as monitoring and improving the quality of products produced by trained local technicians and retailers of SMARTechs. Organizing and facilitating trainings on sanitation marketing, urban/community led sanitation, and low cost household sanitation are part of the job together with liaising with the regional, district, local and international organizations, stakeholders in the WASH Sector.
Lastly setting up Certification Scheme for trained Entrepreneurs, developing drillability map for manual drilling and filling in and updating the CCAP SMART Centre website.
I am a good team- builder and player. Other skills are Project Management, Experience in Irrigation and Water System Design. Experience in participatory organisation analysis, planning and development. Ability to display initiative, prioritise work and work under pressure. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- MSc. Hydrology and Water Resource Engineering, China University of Geoscience, (Sept 2014-Sept 2016)
- BSc. Irrigation Engineering, University of Malawi-Bunda College, (April 2009-June 2013)
- Diploma in Irrigation Technology, Natural Resources College, Malawi, (Feb 2005-Feb 2007)
Experience before YEP
- Internship for MSc Research, Wuhan Water Resource Development Project – China, Hubei Province (October 2014- May 2016)
- Zone Irrigation Officer-Rural Infrastructure Development Programme RIDP-European Union, Malawi, (September 2013-September 2014)
- Assistant Irrigation Engineer, Mzuzu ISD, Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Water Development, Malawi (Feb 2009-Dec 2010)