History: Young Expert at SNV - Kenya
YEP period 2013 - 2015, batch 1
Position after YEP
WASH Expert at SNV Kenya
My role as a Local-YEP'er was as the WASH Advisor for SNV in providing advisory services - Demonstrating and Up-scaling of an Innovative Sanitation Value Chain for the (Peri)-Urban Low Income Areas project.
- Undertake preparatory studies; including a market survey to determine consumer preferences, technology options, household segmentation, etc., as well as an end-user survey among residents of Low Income Areas (LIAs) on willingness to borrow money and ability to pay it back.
- Capacity building support to private sector actors, entrepreneurs and youth groups involved in the collection and transport of human waste (including business planning, entrepreneurship and financial aspects).
- Spearhead a market research into willingness of farmers to use compost and urine as bio-fertilizer, potential crops and potential users of the products, relating it to good practice in other African countries.
- Contribute to formation of a sanitation value chain expert group.
- Documentation of project approach and outcomes for dissemination and up-scaling to other towns and cities in Kenya.
Education: I have a background in Sociology and Philosophy (BA. Hons) Kenya, in addition I am currently pursuing Applied Philosophy and Ethics (MA).
Experience before YEP
I have experience in implementing Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programme with specific tasks to contribute to program planning, implementation and evaluation of program/project activities as well as supporting analytical work.