Young Expert at Brabant Water - Colombia
YEP period 2016 - 2018, batch 7
I worked at Aguas del Magdalena (AMG) SA E.S.P. in Santa Marta, Colombia. The cooperation is established within a Water Operator Partnership (WOP) between Aguas del Magdalena SA E.S.P. and Brabant Water N.V. Brabant Water. The objective of the WOP is capacity building in order to ensure sustainable provision of drinking water and sanitation.
Brabant Water is a drinking water company in the Netherlands that produces about 190 million m3 and provides drinking water for 2,4 million inhabitants. Aguas del Magdalena is a public service company, manager of the Departmental Water Plan for Prosperity, "PAP-PDA 2005-2015" of the Magdalena Department which includes 23 municipalities in the Department of Magdalena. Aguas del Magdalena was established in June 2006 by a decision of the Government of Colombia and local authorities to join forces and solve problems related to water and sewerage systems in the Department of Magdalena.
My role of Young Expert allowed me to contribute to the capacity building within AMG. This focused on the transfer of knowledge of drinking water on local staff. The knowledge will be gathered from Brabant Water with focus on creating sustainable and reliable systems for the long term. During the project the specific knowledge gaps at Aguas del Magdalena will be defined.
Capacity building was promoted by working together with two local yeppers on the following three topics:
- Sustainable drinking water supply for the Palafitic villages of Nueva Venecia, Buenavista and Trojas de Cataca in La Ciénaga Grande de Santa Marta
- Source protection plan for the municipalities of Zona Bananera & Sabanas de San Angel
- Social Rate, a billing system for people that are connected for the first time
Additionally, I was responsible for project management. This included:
- Assisting the Brabant Water WOP project manager in project planning, preparation and monitoring
- Assess the project management procedures at Aguas del Magdalena. If necessary and feasible propose alternative ways of working aimed at increasing efficient and effective project management
- Exchange of knowledge on project management on Aguas del Magdalena staff
Finally, I functioned as a contact person between Aguas del Magdalena and Brabant Water. This meant that I assisted in communication and keep the required actions under the attention of the local staff.
- Knowledgeable – ENTPs rarely pass up a good opportunity to learn something new, especially abstract concepts. This information isn't usually absorbed for any planned purpose as with dedicated studying, people with the ENTP personality type just find it fascinating.
- Quick Thinkers – ENTPs have tremendously flexible minds, and are able to shift from idea to idea without effort, drawing on their accumulated knowledge to prove their points, or their opponents', as they see fit.
- Excellent Brainstormers – Nothing is quite as enjoyable to ENTPs as analyzing problems from every angle to find the best solutions. Combining their knowledge and originality to splay out every aspect of the subject at hand, rejecting without remorse options that don't work and presenting ever more possibilities, ENTPs are irreplaceable in brainstorming sessions.
- Charismatic – People with the ENTP personality type have a way with words and wit that others find intriguing. Their confidence, quick thought and ability to connect disparate ideas in novel ways create a style of communication that is charming, even entertaining, and informative at the same time.
- Energetic – When given a chance to combine these traits to examine an interesting problem, ENTPs can be truly impressive in their enthusiasm and energy, having no qualms with putting in long days and nights to find a solution.
Education: Bachelor Aquatic Ecotechnology Hogeschool Zeeland, Master Transnational Ecosystem-based Water Management Radboud University, Nijmegen & University Duisburg-Essen, Germany
Experience before YEP
2014 - TRAINEE | DRINKING WATER COMPANY BRABANT WATER
Traineeship with Brabant Water (6 months). Obtained work experience as a process engineer and as a consultant for water distribution calculations. Main projects:
- Microbiological composition in relation to production operations at water
- production location Son
- Calculations for the use of calcite as an alternative material for deposition of calcium
- carbonate in water softening reactors
- Water distribution calculations for the scenario; water demand decreases by half
- Evaluation of water distribution routes through conductivity measurements with GIS
2015- CONSULTANT WATER PRODUCTION | DRINKING WATER COMPANY BRABANT WATER
Responsible for quality control and assurance of the drinking water production process. Writing and evaluating policy. Main projects:
- Management report water quality
- Verification of water quality data for The Human Environment and Transport
- Inspectorate (ILT)
- Legionella prevention policy for drinking water production locations