Young Expert at TU Delft - Valorisation Centre - Myanmar
YEP period 2016 - 2018, batch 6
As a Young Water Expert I worked on a NICHE capacity building programme from the Dutch government at the Yangon Technological University (YTU) and Myanmar Maritime University (MMU) in Yangon. My assignment was to connect the water departments of these universities to (international) companies and other institutes, and to improve the departments their facilities for education and research.
Part of my activitieswas sharing knowledge on river and coastal dynamics to the students and teaching staff, developing course materials, and getting Myanmar students enthusiastic to choose for the wonderful studies about river systems and coastal zones. Besides the capacity building programme, Delft University of Technology conducted various other projects and researches related to water in Myanmar. For those projects I had an active role as local project coordinator.
Click here for more information about my project.
- Transport of sediments and morphology
- Hydraulic numerical modelling of rivers, waterways & coasts
- Hydro-informatic systems and Geographic Information Systems
Education: BSc and MSc in Civil Engineering at Delft University of Technology with the specialisations Environmental Fluid Mechanics and Rivers, Ports & Waterways (2015)
Experience before YEP
- Sediment transport modeler at NATECH environmental Services Inc in Canada (2015). Researched the morphological impact of a dam removal scenario at the Saint John River.
- Graduate intern at Deltares in Taiwan (2014-2015). Gained insight in the behaviour of turbidity currents In Taiwanese reservoirs by means of numerical modelling. Evaluated ideas on how-to decrease their impact on reservoir sedimentation.
- Trainee at Royal HaskoningDHV in Myanmar (2013-2014). Set up a morphological model of the Ayeyarwady and Chindwin river system. Collaborated closely with local experts, governments, universities and companies to gather data and discuss river training solutions. Organised field trips and sailed 1 000 km of the Ayeyarwady to take measurements and do mapping.
- Teaching Assistant at Delft University of Technology in Myanmar (2014). Gave two Tailor Made Trainings (TMT) for EP-nuffic on:
- Numerical river modelling for engineers of the Ministry of Transport,
- The application of open-source satellites data for engineers of the Ministry of Irrigation.