Young Expert at Vitens Evides International - Rwanda
YEP period 2015 - 2017, batch 6
Vitens Evides International (VEI) is a joint venture of Dutch drinking water utilities that works on improving the performance of colleague water companies in developing and transition countries. VEI supports FIPAG, the drinking water utility that delivers water in Mozambique's 18 largest cities on capacity building of their staff. The first 1,5 years of my YEP contract I was the assistant project manager for VEI in the region of North Mozambique. My tasks were the following:
- Organise and supervise short term missions of Dutch experts that visit FIPAG Region North (FRN) to give training to local staff. These missions regard mainly technical subjects, such as water treatment, water- and electrical infrastructure, but we also look at health and safety, business planning, etc.
- Support on Non Revenue Water reducing pilots in Nampula and Angoche, by defining district metered areas, instigating customer surveys, coordinating water readings, analysing physical and commercial water losses, supporting repair work and report and maintain results for the continuous benefit of FIPAG
- Support FRN with the mapping of new water resources and the planning of development of these, by selecting two regions where the pressure on finding new water resources is largest, collect and make an inventory of the available studies on potential sources, develop short- middle- and long term options, initiate field studies and possibly implement short term solutions
For the final six months of my YEP contract, I moved to Rwanda where I am working on rounding up the SusWas project, which mainly focuses on NRW reduction for the Rwandan urban water utility WASAC, but also addressed themes such as peri-urban water supply and operator training in more rural areas.
- Drinking and Waste Water Technology
- Non Revenue Water
- International orientation
Education: MSc Physics (University of Amsterdam) with a minor in Hydrology (University of Utrecht). During my Master research project I studied the filtration of fine particles by the soil of a dam in Oman that was built to facilitate the recharge of groundwater and mitigate seawater intrusion.
Experience before YEP
Water Technology Consultant - Isle Utilities, London, UK
- Collaborate with key water industry clients (utilities, consultancies) to understand their needs, drivers and technology requirements
- Facilitate the identification, research and evaluation (from a technical and commercial perspective) of new and existing technologies, products and services from both the UK and overseas to support the water utilities on their innovation programs
- Support the delivery of Isle’s Technology Approval Group (TAG), a forum that informs water utilities on the latest technological innovations and facilitates discussion about - and trialing of - these innovations, in the UK and Europe
- Project manage various consultancy projects, such as technology horizon scans, market scopes and trials
- Support the delivery of consultancy projects
- Support on business development