Young Expert at Aqua for All - Kenya
YEP period 2014 - 2016, batch 3
Liaison Officer, based at the Millennium Water Alliance in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Programme coordination and development of joint Aqua for All – MWA programmes
- Technical support on business development, income generation and cost recovery mechanisms
- Market exploration, matching (local) demand to (Dutch) supply
- Acquisition, linking with international funding agencies
- Excellent networking and matchmaking skills, coupled with established relevant network in Dutch WASH sector
- Proven experience in Private Public Partnerships (PPPs) in (peri)urban and rural water supply and sanitation
- Strategic skills in the field of strategy development, facilitating multi stakeholder processes, resource mobilization, programme design, acquisition, relation management and communication
- Practical skills in the field of proposal writing, project coordination, planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management
Education: Master in Cultural Anthropology (2007); Advanced Master in International Development (2010)
Experience before YEP
Acquisition / Relation management at Aqua for All
April 2012 – July 2014
Aqua for All is a foundation dedicated to sustainably increase the number of people with access to clean water and adequate sanitation. It acts as a networking agent, connecting public and private organizations, mobilizing resources, expertise and finances from the Dutch water sector towards development projects focused on water and sanitation.
My core responsibilities were to: (co)develop strategy, explore and develop new financial markets, keep an eye out for interesting new partners and increase Aqua for All's profile within the international water sector.
Founder and Chair of IDleaks
January 2011 – May 2014
IDleaks is a public voluntary movement consisting of hundreds of world citizens striving to (better) inform the Dutch public about International Development Cooperation, its goods and its bads, its costs and its benefits. IDleaks does so by actively informing the public both online and 'onlife' and by stimulating developing organisations and media to communicate in a fair, honest and nuanced way. We have given several lectures and inspirational speeches at public events; have given several hands-on workshops for students, NGO’s and media to help them with their communication and we have developed a Code for fair communication. IDleaks won the JongOS Innovation Award in December 2012.
I have founded, built and chaired this movement till May 2014. It grew from less than 20 members to over 450, with several active working groups.
Junior Programme Officer at Hivos
January 2010 - December 2012
Hivos is one of the bigger Dutch development organisations, supporting over 600 partners in 26 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America, with four different programmes varying from supporting sustainable farming to promoting human rights.
I supported the Freedom of Speech and Expression department with: institutional fundraising; project management; corporate communication and programme development. I conducted a research on and provided advice regarding the decentralisation process of a large pan African network (Arterial Network).