Young Expert at ITC/University of Twente - Kenya
YEP period 2014 - 2015, batch 3
During YEP I was supporting IWRAP programme activities in three main areas:
1) Transfer of fundamental geo-informatics knowledge required by the staff in Water Resource Management Authority (WRMA) and IMARISHA Naivasha to execute the activities required for the migration and implementation of the new water information system;
2) Orchestrate and manage the various workflows that have been designed to structure, edit, clean and upload legacy data to the newly deployed databases and generate new products and services;
3) Help in identifying, together with the tutor, appropriate best practices to address the challenges that arise from the implementation of the project activities.
Click here for more information about my project.
Scientist and Trainer in Geo-Information (GIS), Remote Sensing, ISO geo-data standardization and Cartography
- Master of Science in Geo-information Science and Earth Observation for Geoinformatics (University of Twente – ITC , http://www.itc.nl/C14-GFM-MSc-01)
- Master in Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (University of Twente – ITC, http://www.itc.nl/C14-GFM-M-01)
- Bachelor of Arts in Geography, GIS and Remote Sensing ( Moi University, School of Arts and Social Sciences, http://sass.mu.ac.ke/)
- Diploma in Geo-Informatics, GIS Operations and programming (University of Twente – ITC, http://www.itc.nl/C15-GFM-DPL-01)
- Diploma in Cartography (Kenya Institute of Survey and Mapping, Nairobi, Kenya)
Experience before YEP
GeoData Standardization Officer, Cartographer, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst/Expert: Kenya Government Public Service which included CETRAD – Nanyuki, Survey of Kenya HQs, GDC/KenGen and the Ministry of Devolution and Planning (ASALs).
- Maintaining web mapping applications, GIS web-portal to ensure visualization of government activities and information online
- Training, sensitization and capacity building in GIS and Remote Sensing technology
- Geothermal resource assessment using spatial analysis, utilizing GIS, photogrammetry, cartography, land survey, and remote sensing and other required spatial and database tools
- Geo-Database administration and compilation of geographic data from a variety of sources including censuses, digitizing, field observations and existing maps
- Apply the principles of GIS, remote sensing, mobile mapping and web mapping into research project activities in Arid and Semi-Arid lands (ASALs)
- Developing and applying ISO standards related to spatial data towards developing a solution for easy discovery and access of geospatial data by Government customers and stakeholders
- Implementing, maintaining and updating the web based Kenya Spatial Data Infrastructure (KNSDI)
- Training government stakeholders on Kenya Profile for Geographical Information Standards (KPGIS), ensuring quality of updated geospatial information into government geoportal