What & Why
Young Expert Programmes consists of YEP Water, YEP Agrofood, YEP Energy (the “Nexus”) and YEP Tailor-made. The main goal of the programmes is to offer young Dutch professionals the opportunity to gain experience abroad and to offer young local professionals the opportunity to gain experience with working in an international environment through Dutch organisations. Additionally, YEP Programmes rejuvenates the Dutch international cooperation sector and provides organisations with highly skilled young professionals.
YEP Introduction video
The YEP Programmes offer viable opportunities for young professionals, as well as for the Dutch water, agrofood and renewable energy sectors. These sectors have a clear need for capacity building at an international level and are striving for more international young professionals who can contribute to knowledge transfers, innovation, new technologies and rejuvenation in these sectors. Therefore, YEP Programmes strives to assure the continued availability of international professionalism and expertise in the Dutch water, agrofood and renewable energy sectors.
The deployment of Young Experts is strongly related to one or more of the following themes of the Dutch development cooperation policy:
- Efficient water management, in particular in the agricultural sector
- Improved river basin management and safe estuaries
- Access to safe drinking water and sanitation
- Eradicating of existing hunger and malnutrition
- Promoting of inclusive and sustainable growth in the agricultural sector
- Creating of ecologically sustainable food systems
- Decentral energy access to affordable energy services for households, including clean cooking solutions
- Innovation (technology, finance and business)
- Productive use of renewable energy for SMEs, farmers and social institutions
Dutch companies, knowledge institutions and social organisations that are involved in the policy for, and implementation of, development cooperation activities outside the Netherlands can submit a project proposal for the deployment of a Young Expert. The period of deployment is a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 2 years. Financial support is provided by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs is available for organisations for up to 50% of the costs of deployment and training of the Young Expert.
During their programme the Young Experts receive intensive training and coaching as part of the learning agility approach. With a focus on self-awareness, the Young Experts identify opportunities for professional development and personal growth, to be able to focus in their work on change, stakeholders and results.